I know it’s tough to earn online but I find it VERY hard to believe that approximately 81% of bloggers make less than a $100 blogging and that more than 10% of bloggers never make money blogging at all! :( I have met a lot of promising bloggers and I know firsthand how many hours they put into their blogs (some put in close to 40 hours per week!). So this idea that a majority of blogs don’t pan out and that most bloggers end up quitting gives me the impression that they are doing something wrong. Most blog experts don’t like to say it but I personally feel that money is a good scale to determine whether you are successful or not. If you have a great site and great content but are not making money blogging online then in my eyes you are a failure... You have to learn to grow your income at the same pace that you grow your blog. So if you want to increase your earnings online, I encourage you to keep reading and try to implement the following strategies in your blog. It's about time you reap some fruit from your labor and finally make money blogging ;)
Just like how you can’t harvest crop without planting and nurturing it. You can’t start milking your blog (…I love farm metaphors) until you reach a certain point. So as a general guideline try to hit the targets below before beginning to monetize your blog and pulling on that digital udder (okay...haha now that was just gross)
- Have at least 25 good posts on your blog (This is VERY important.. without a solid base of content, you will never make money blogging. Content builds trust, trust builds traffic and traffic equals liquid gold ;) )
- Develop a constant stream of users to your blog (…this should be organic traffic that you receive on average every day regardless of anything else)
- Be in the good graces of Google and get indexed (…and all other search engines)
- Grow your social networks and create a presence for your blog
- Start working on a product you can sell (this could be an eBook, training program or even a presentation. It just has to be something your users will buy)
If you reach the goals, the rest of the monetization procedure should be a lot easier and you will begin to see results right away.
How to Make Money Blogging:
1. Google Adsense
Google Adsense is one of my biggest streams for earning online and I continue to use Adsense with amazing effects on my blogs. It has a lot of great features and it’s in my opinion, the best fit for new bloggers to make money blogging, due to how easy it is to use and implement. While I strongly recommend you apply to the AdSense program right now. Here are some benefits you should know if you’re still not sure:
- Adsense is Free and no information is required to sign up.
- No product is needed to use AdSense just a blog or website.
- Google pushes relevant ads according to each individual post increasing your potential earnings.
- Ads in AdSense are customizable according to your blogs look and feel, with various types of ads such as image, text or video.
- It’s very easy and little to no time is needed for you to start making money from your blog. Just copy and paste the code on your blog and "BAZINGA!" you'll have made your first dollar online.
Recommended Adsense Guides
- An SEO Guide to Adsense, Ads, and Placement
- AdSense Hacking 101: A fast-track guide to renovating AdSense sites
- Beginner’s Guide to Google AdSense for Publishers
2. Sell Your Own Product
While it’s always great to be the middleman and get a cut from selling other people's products, you'll always make more money blogging from selling directly to your readers. So as I mentioned in the preliminary steps above you should eventually aim to have a good product that you can sell to your users. But just like everything else this also has a procedure that you have to follow before making any money from your blog.
- Build the trust of your users by being open, reliable and honest. They won’t buy stuff from you unless they feel they can trust what you’re selling.
- Create a product that will actually help your users and is not pointless (I'm shocked at a number of times I've seen new bloggers make a skimpy 10-page e-book and expect to become millionaires overnight.. Quality is KING. Remember that.)
- Create excitement for your product through your posts and by advertising it on your blog
- Spread the word about how great your product is and try to get reviewed and promoted
- Sell your product either by yourself on your site or through a medium such as Clickbank which takes a small percentage of the profits
3. Join An Affiliate Program
While you won’t make the same money selling someone else’s products on your own. Being an affiliate does have its benefits especially if your new and want to make money blogging from the jump (FYI that's slang for from the very beginning).
- You don’t need to make a product
- You don’t need to worry about the checkout process
- You don’t need to take care of the customers after selling the product
So if this seems like something you would want to do I’d highly recommend it. I personally like this way to earn the best just because it runs to a certain degree on autopilot and if you have the traffic it brings in a lot more revenue than AdSense. While it’s always best to target particular affiliate programs for your niche you can start your search in some of the larger affiliate networks like Linkshare, Clickbank and Commission Junction. Recommended Affiliate Guides
4. Amazon Associates
Amazon can be a great source of income for your blog especially if your topic includes particular products over ideas. The reason behind this is that by being an Amazon affiliate you don’t promote the Amazon brand but instead you promote particular products. That’s why while it is tricky; it has the potential to make you a lot of money from your blog. Remember when it comes to the online world the real commodity is traffic. To make money blogging you have to learn of ways to convert this commodity, just like you trade in gold for cash, in the best and most optimized way. Recommended Guides This guide by Darren Rowse from Problogger.net is one of the best I’ve seen and you should surely check it out: The Ultimate Guide to Making Money with the Amazon Affiliate Program
5. Private Ad Sales / Sponsorships
With the right amount of traffic selling ad space on your site is a great way to make money blogging. While this isn’t a constant stream of revenue as most ad spots are term based. It can provide a big boost of income throughout the year especially for new bloggers who are struggling with hosting fees. So while it’s easy to set up I don’t recommend you implement this on your blog until you are receiving a constant large flow of traffic because unlike Adsense ads private advertisers won't just come to you (and the ones who do approach new bloggers with low traffic are usually spammy. So be careful!). You’ll have to go out and convince companies that your blog is a good fit to advertise their product or service. Other Methods that Do WORK While these methods aren’t as traditional, they might work better, based on your niche, to help you make money blogging.
- Chitika – Chitika is another ad service like Adsense, but are non-contextual
- Feedburner Ads – ads included in your Feedburner stream
- Offer Exclusive Content – offer users who pay exclusive posts or features
- Coaching – Charge users for your help and expertise through phone or Skype
- Sell or License Content – If you feel your content is good enough sell or license it.
Blog Earning Statistics
In my experience, most want-a-be "pro" bloggers begin blogging after drooling over blog celebrities like Pat Flynn who are making over $100,000 a month. But what they don't consider is the years of effort these bloggers put in to master their craft and make content people love. So if you were expecting a magic bullet to make money blogging, you won't find one. The money will just NOT come overnight. You have to persistent and never give up. It's a lot of hard work but if you keep a firm goal in your head and truly believe that you can get to the upper 1% echelon of the blogging world. With a lot of dedication and a little magic ;) you will! Best of luck!