Willpower is the Most Important Trait a Person Can Have.
What does it mean to have Willpower?
Willpower is the amount of control you have over yourself. It is your ability to rationally decide between choices.
What are the benefits of Willpower?
- People with large amounts of willpower are generally more successful - are able to make harder short term decision in order to meet their long term goals.
- People with large amounts of willpower are generally more peaceful and satisfied - are confident in their abilities and know that they can get through any problem.
- People with large amounts of willpower are generally happier - are goal oriented and make happiness a priority.
Willpower is the key to success. Successful people strive no matter what they feel by applying their will to overcome apathy, doubt or fear. - Dan Millman
5 Powerful Ways to Increase Your Willpower
1. Think Positive (Constructive)
Willpower is directly related with your mindset. If you mentally think you can’t do something there is no way you can do it in real life. So to increase your willpower try to put a positive spin on every thought in your head and remove al negative ideas.
Phrases like "I can't" shouldn't be in your vocabulary.
You are only as lazy or lacking in willpower as you think you are. - Ken Christian
2. Think Abstract and Long Term
Willpower is centered around your goals and ambitions. So if you truly desire a certain goal, your willpower in relation to that goal will increase. So keeping this in mind, to increase your willpower you should pay less attention to the process and focus on the end goal and you will automatically feel a boost in your self-control and willpower.
You have to decide what your highest priorities are and have the courage - pleasantly, smilingly, nonapologetically - to say 'no' to other things. And the way to do that is by having a bigger 'yes' burning inside. The enemy of the 'best' is often the 'good.' - Stephen Covey
3. Take Care of Your Mind
Willpower is a mental thing. If your brain is low on energy you will become low on willpower as well.
- Try get the optimal amount of rest required every night in order to keep your mind fresh and healthy.
- Try to maintain a good diet and eat healthy foods.
- Try to maintain a good physical health and get regular exercise.
4. Find External Support
Willpower may be all in your head but this doesn’t mean it’s not affected by external factors. Support from friends and family can be a huge boost to your willpower. So try to surround yourself with people who can motivate you to keep going and give you the extra push when needed.
5. Remind Yourself Why
Why are you exercising? Why are you quitting cigarettes? Why are you quitting your old habit and starting a new one?
Every now and then we tend to forget the real reasons why we do things and have to be given a reminder. This reminder allows us to get our priorities in order and do what’s right. This reminder is also fundamental in maintaining a high level of willpower. Try taking some time aside every day to mediate and remind yourself what you are doing and more importantly the reasons why.