“It is said, “hope for the best and prepare for the worst.” So, broken expectations should not break you but make you.”
There will hardly be any person on earth who doesn’t have expectations and hopes. There are expectations of relations, result, future, career, etc. It’s one of the inevitable natures of humans. It is vital to have hopes; otherwise, life would be colourless and adventureless. It is a deriving force, and without it, we cannot plan and take necessary actions.
However, it goes wrong when our anticipations become obsession and obligations for others. Where there are objective assumptions, there are complaints too. It weakens relationships and your confidence. We feel happy when things go our way; otherwise, we break and become sad and anxious. We should understand that calculations are not always met with the presumed answer.
Share your views openly with your loved ones, but don’t suppose them to always understand and agree with you. Everyone has their opinions according to their learnings, experiences and beliefs. If you want them to respect your words, you must welcome others’ views with open arms.
Yes, it hurts when you share something with your closet and trust that they would understand you, but they don’t. But it would not happen if you equally expected the otherwise case as well. Who knows if people suggest you something better. Moreover, if you find their counter words discouraging and futile, let them roll off you.
Do not imagine others to have the same feelings and emotions for you as you do have for them. If you like or love someone, your utmost happiness should be in their joy, not in forcing them to love you back. Yes, of course, you should not hide your feelings either. Who knows if you get the expected reply. Otherwise, sharing them will give you clarity and courage to move on.
You could expect and suggest but not impose. Imposing your beliefs would only lead to conflicts and distance. Forcing your judgement in the name of care, love, and being a well-wisher is a sign of dominating nature. It is like trying to snatch away the freedom of an individual. If you think you have the right to go your way, others also do.
Don’t expect yourself and others to be perfect. Everyone struggles because everyone makes mistakes. That is how we learn and grow. Perfectionism obsession would only lead to panic gaining nothing.
Never expect others to change as per your wish. Everyone has the right to decide what they want to change in themselves. Some might know they should change, but their ego hurdles them.
Similarly, we should not expect others not to change. Change is constant, and we all change. Are you exactly like what you were before! You are to decide whether you can put up with the person the way they are or not. Be the person you want others to be, not the one that others want you to be.
Do not expect yourself to please everyone in society, nor do you expect them to appreciate you. Society tries its best to force unnecessary expectations on you, and many people start working on that to look for extreme happiness. But remember, absolute pleasure resides within. You have not come on earth to fulfil and live on others’ expectations.
Don’t expect the result to always be in your favour. Always brace yourself for the otherwise outcomes. Uncertainty is the ultimate truth, and we unfold possibilities by expecting, acting, failing, and restarting. It is the journey and the process that matters, and it should continue till our last breath. So, expect, but don’t over expect. Without further ado, I want to share some expectation quotes.
57 Expectation Quotes To Prevent Yourself From False Hope And Disappointment
- “You become a true philanthropist only when you empty yourself to be a blessing to others without expecting anything in return.” –Topsy Gift
- “Expect everything so that nothing comes unexpected.” –Norton Juster
- “I have learned that as long as I hold fast to my beliefs and values – and follow my own moral compass – then the only expectations I need to live up to are my own.” –Michelle Obama
- “Don’t lower your expectations to meet your performance. Raise your level of performance to meet your expectations. Expect the best of yourself, and then do what is necessary to make it a reality.” –Ralph Marston
- “We can each define ambition and progress for ourselves. The goal is to work toward a world where expectations are not set by the stereotypes that hold us back, but by our personal passion, talents and interests.” –Sheryl Sandberg
- “Happiness is there when expectations meet reality.” –Debasish Mridha
- “Expectations were like fine pottery. The harder you held them, the more likely they were to crack.” –Brandon Sanderson
- “Set the standard! Stop expecting others to show you love, acceptance, commitment, & respect when you don’t even show that to yourself.” –Steve Maraboli
- “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” –Bruce Lee
- “Being in control of your life and having realistic expectations about your day-to-day challenges are the keys to stress management, which is perhaps the most important ingredient to living a happy, healthy and rewarding life.” –Marilu Henner
- “The expectations of life depend upon diligence; the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” –Confucius
- “If you want to give yourself a fair chance to succeed, never expect too much too soon.” –Po Bronson
- “I have a lot of expectations from myself.” –Bhuvneshwar Kumar
- “When one’s expectations are reduced to zero, one really appreciates everything one does have.” –Stephen Hawking
- “There were two ways to be happy: improve your reality, or lower your expectations.” –Jodi Picoult
- “Whatever it is you’re seeking won’t come in the form you’re expecting.” –Haruki Murakami
- “When you have expectations, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.” –Ryan Reynolds
- “Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect.” –Margaret Mitchell
- “Our environment, the world in which we live and work, is a mirror of our attitudes and expectations.” –Earl Nightingale
- “We’re wired to expect the world to be brighter and more meaningful and more obviously interesting than it actually is. And when we realize that it isn’t, we start looking around for the real world.” –Lev Grossman
- “When you stop expecting people to be perfect, you can like them for who they are.” –Donald Miller
- “Expectations are dangerous when they are both too high and unformed.” –Lionel Shriver
- “If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you never will change the outcome. ” –Michael Jordan
- “Positive expectations are the mark of a superior personality.” –Brian Tracy
- “The first step in exceeding your customer’s expectations is to know those expectations.” –Roy H. Williams
- “Sometimes the stuff you expect to happen can hurt you.” –Jennifer Brown
- “Unhappiness lies in that gap between our talents and our expectations.” –Sebastian Horsley
- “Sometimes, despite your best efforts, the end result does not match the expectations.” –Vikram
- “Peace begins When expectation ends.” –Sri Chinmoy
- “Live your life, sing your song. Not full of expectations. Not for the ovations. But for the joy of it.” –Rasheed Ogunlaru
- “Hope is a great expectancy.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita
- “Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.” –Gautama Buddha
- “We live in a world where expectation exceeds inspiration.” –Louise Philippe Dulay
- “You can’t expect everyone to have the same dedication as you.” –Jeff Kinney
- “Do not expect much from humans. Expect much more from God.” –Lailah Gifty Akita
- “You are your own worst enemy. If you can learn to stop expecting impossible perfection, in yourself and others, you may find the happiness that has always eluded you.” –Lisa Kleypas
- “That was the thing about the world: it wasn’t that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn’t expect.” –Lev Grossman
- “Maybe my expectations for honesty are too high.” –Kelley Armstrong
- “I kept my expectations low, which is one of the secrets of life.” –Anne Lamott
- “What I have since realized is that if people expect you to be brave, sometimes you pretend that you are, even when you are frightened down to your very bones.” –Sharon Creech
- “A wonderful gift may not be wrapped as you expect.” –Jonathan Lockwood Huie
- “You are one of the rare people who can separate your observation from your perception…you see what is, where most people see what they expect.” –Tsitsi Dangarembga
- “To wish was to hope, and to hope was to expect.” –Jane Austen
- “There’s a victory in letting go of your expectations.” –Mike White
- “Never expect anything from anyone, if you want to live a happy life.” –Rashid Jorvee
- “You can’t base your life on other people’s expectations.” –Stevie Wonder
- “To free us from the expectations of others, to give us back to ourselves – there lies the great, singular power of self-respect.” –Joan Didion
- “Our brightest blazes of gladness are commonly kindled by unexpected sparks.” –Samuel Johnson
Leave a Reply